Capt James Dickens Confirmed As Keynote Speaker – October 26th
Captain (Capt) James LaVelle Dickens
He serves in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Regional Office, Office of the Secretary, Region VI Dallas, TX as the Senior Program Manager for the Office of Minority Health. He is an experienced Registered Nurse and Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner with over thirty years of federal healthcare experience. CAPT Dickens’ clinical experience includes Orthopedics, Emergency Department, Surgical Services, Long-Term Care, and the Primary Care setting.
CAPT Dickens is a Commissioned Officer in the United States Public Health Service whose mission is to promote, protect and advance the health and safety of the Nation. He was selected to participate as aclinical team member for the Afghanistan Health Initiative (AHI) in Kabul, Afghanistan. The mission of the AHI was to improve quality of care, and maternal and infant mortality rates at Rabia Balkhi Women’s Hospital in Kabul. CAPT Dickens served as a technical advisor as a member of a Commissioned Corps hospital assistance team in Saipan, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands and St Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice, Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, Lubbock
- Master Science Nursing, Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, Hampton University, Hampton, VA
- Bachelor Science Nursing, Hampton University, Hampton, VA
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
- Meritorious Service Medal (second highest honor award in the USPHS)
- Outstanding Service Medal
- Commendation Medal
- Hazardous Duty Medal
- Foreign Duty Medal
- Special Assignment Award
- Field Medical Readiness Badge
- Fellow-American Association of Nurse Practitioners